1) A negative campaign apparently to correct the impression that London’s streets are ”paved with gold” is being considered by the British Prime Minister David Cameron, in an effort to deter would-be immigrants from looking to the UK as a potential home.
2) Local leaders in five UK constituencies have written to David Cameron in an effort to lobby for the benefits of expanding overseas student visas, in Britain’s economic interest, as the UK government goes ahead with its plan to tighten controls on all forms of immigration into the country.
3) As new figures show ‘white flight’ from cities is rising, one Londoner writes a provocative personal piece about how immigration has drastically changed the borough where she has lived for 17 years.
4) The UK government’s planned restrictions on inflows of Romanians, come their full accession to the EU next year, has caused a stir in Romania,including advertisements mocking Britain’s anxieties, protests in the Romanian capital and now a diplomatic showdown.
5) Britain is no longer the favored destination for well-educated and/or endowed Americans, who now prefer the stronger Bavarian beer stein, sizzling Bratwurst and superior economic conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany. In contrast, the most popular destination for middle and upper class Brits continues to be the United States, according to the International Migration Study at UniGroup.